According to the National Weather Service, a Hard Freeze occurs when the temperature reaches 28 degrees, or lower, for at least a few hours.
This week’s forecast indicates temperatures below 20 degrees overnight Thursday, December 22, and temperatures below 28 degrees nightly through Monday, December 26.
There are a number of ways to protect the pipes in your home, but the graphics below give instructions on how to drain the internal plumbing and how to winterize and drain your irrigation system.
Additional instructions to protect your pipes are:
- Unhook any outdoor water hoses attached to your faucets.
- Wrap outdoor pipes and faucets with foam, rags, or other insulating material. To keep the insulation in place, secure it with string, wire, or tape.
- Install insulation or covers over outside water faucets.
- Open cabinet doors under your sinks to provide warm air circulation.
- Circulate water in your home by allowing at least one sink to drip.
- Keep the temperature of your home above 55 degrees.